Sunday, June 2, 2013

Coffee Granita for an Indian summer


God.... when will the summer end? Its going past 40 deg C, there's no getting out during the day. And the days are long... hot and bright till late evening. I was thinking of heading to Starbucks for an iced latte, but the thought of even stepping out to the car, searching for parking, walking all the way to the cafe roasted and sweaty, is a put off.
I'm blaming the weather, or maybe I'm just lazy. I seem to have mastered the art of turning a day at home doing nothing, into something wonderful.

Then I remembered this coffee dessert I had seen a while back on Bbc's Good Cook. It was a simple espresso granita with cream. I love black coffee, and thinking of crushed ice coffee got me excited and looked up the recipe again.

First you need to make a glassful of espresso. Add three spoons of brown sugar. (less if you like bitter) Let the coffee cool down and meanwhile place a shallow steel vessel inside the freezer.

Once the coffee cools pour this into the vessel and pop it into the freezer again. Every 20 minutes, open the freezer and stir the mixture, so you get crystals of ice instead of a large chunk. The granita will be ready in an hour's time.



Scoop the crushed ice onto a martini glass, add a dollop of ice cream and pop it back into the freezer for a few minutes, till you get a nice chill glass, and then.... gobbled it up.

If you have made more, you can store the crushed coffee in a plastic box. I have saved some for Ram, who is not around but fortunately enjoying the cool weather in Bangalore. This will be a good treat when he gets back.

No comments:

Post a Comment